Monday, July 16, 2012

In The Red

Last June I was in the black. Most of my tomato plants got blight very early in the season and went black. It was really bad so I pulled them, tossed 'em, and craved tomatoes the rest of the summer. The other tomato plants went black (actually brown) in September.

This summer I'm in the red! My heirloom tomatoes are in full production, particularly these German Johnson beefsteaks.

German Johnson tomatoes harvested this evening. The largest tomato weighs 22 ounces.

There are at least 15 more impressively large tomatoes hanging on my German Johnson vine in varying stages of growth and ripeness. I also have two Hillbilly vines in heavy bloom, three Black from Tulas started in May, a Bush Beefsteak, and one Sungold hybrid tomato in the ground.

If I could only plant one variety it would definitely be Black from Tula. But German Johnson is a close second. And I'm not complaining after a 13-month tomato drought in my garden.

What's everybody growing out there? What are your favorite varieties of heirloom tomatoes? E-mail me some pictures (vaplantman@yahoo.com) and I'll post the best looking tomato of the bunch.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the extreme heat, I over watered one of my two tomato plants and it completely wilted - fortunately the large tomatoes at the bottom are still ripening. I will get 6 tomatoes from it but it's history.

Then my other tomato plant got early blight while I was out of town last week and although I cut off the bad leaves and sprayed with a homemade fungicide(baking soda), I'm pretty sure it will die as well. Its a black year for me. But my fig is still lookin good! Helen

Thad said...

This year has been a good year for tomatoes for us, too. We only have four plants in the ground, but they are providing a steady number of fruits for us. They are:

1) Black Plum
2) Early Girl Hybrid
3) Black Cherry
4) Sweet 100s Cherry

We went with small tomatoes this year, but next year I want to expand the menu into larger fruiting varieties.

Cheers!

Adventures in Agriburbia said...

This year I planted 18 types of tomatoes, some tried and true and some newbies. My favorite for the last 2 years is Cherokee Green. Nice disease resistance, decent (not huge) yield, and most important great taste.

Laura said...

I got mine in late this year, and they are only just starting to ripen. Unfortunately, I think I also have fusarium wilt and am losing 3 plants. Not sure if I should yank those out to protect the others or if they can be left in the ground - they have huge green tomatoes on them.

CyberSyb said...

Ack. And this was my year to lose all my tomatoes to blight. First year directly in ground and a real mistake. We already knew the ground was infected - I was too busy biking to care. Noooooo tomatoes. Truly pathetic.