Friday, March 4, 2011

Fresh Air and Water

It was a mild and sunny day so I decided to open the roof of my convertible.  Okay, a bit of an exaggeration, but I have been keeping my hoop house / low tunnel plastic tied open for the past few days.  I folded and tied the plastic to the center PVC pipe with twine in order to allow rain to soak the beds.  I decided to keep it open since the weather hasn't dipped below freezing recently.

Raised bed with plastic covering tied in place.  Arugula is growing in the center and lettuce seedlings are also growing in this bed.
The weather forecast for the next 10 days varies between the mid-30s and low-60s.  No sign of really low temps but I will leave the plastic fastened to the pipe.  The weather in Virginia in March and early April is very unpredictable.  I will only remove the setup when we are definitely in the clear of snow and hard frost, which may be a few weeks from now.

1 comment:

CyberSyb said...

Love the "convertible" description - that one made me laugh out loud!! - Sybil