Sunday, January 23, 2011

Read the Seed

Seed catalogs have been trickling in through the mail for the past few weeks.  Now it's time to read.  And plan.  Nothing beats planning for the upcoming year in the garden, particularly when it's cold and nasty outside.


I'm currently picking through Southern Exposure, Seeds of Change, Johnny's, and Edible Landscaping.  These aren't the only sources out there, but they are all good.  The first two primarily sell seeds.  Johnny's sells seeds and equipment, and Edible sells plants of various sizes.

I've been selecting heirlooms for the past few years and saving seeds from each harvest.  This has allowed me to build up a significant collection of various seeds that do well in hot and humid coastal Virginia.  They've become my go-to seeds.  Mostly tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, lettuces, radishes, carrots.  But my eyes are always open for new crops to experiment with.

I'm considering buying a second pomegranate tree from Edible because the other one is doing so well in my yard.  I'm also looking at their offering of cascade hops (for home brewing).  Hops are perennials and grow quite tall.

What is everybody planning in 2011 for their gardens and yards?

5 comments:

Kim said...

This will be my first year using organic heirlooms. I never knew the importance until I saw a movie called The Future of Food (it's on my blog). I've ordered everything from Seed Savers Exchange this year. Everything they offer is heirloom and they have a huge selection of organic seeds. I figure I can experiment with different companies next year.
Bean, Sutan's Green Cresent
Bean, Provider
Broccoli, DeCicco
Carrot, Danvers
Corn, Golden Bantam
Cucumber, Bushy
Lettuce, Grandpa Admire's
Lettuce, Rossa di Trento
Runner Bean, Sunset
Tomato, Martino's Roma
Potato, Yukon Gold

.09 Acres said...

Kim, I'm glad to hear you are experimenting with organic heirlooms. I hope you have a great harvest and learn alot in the process. I've slowly been saving seeds from not only my favorite plants, but also those that perform extremely well in my local climate. Fortunately, most of my best producing seeds are also my favorite. Try to find out what your neighbors and local farmers are growing on Long Island. Experienced growers tend to have great cumulative knowledge about successful plants for your area. Good luck!

What Pigs Don't Know said...

P9A -
Have you ever heard of Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds? I just got their coffe-table-type (with gorgeous large pictures!) seed catalog in the mail. It's beautiful! Have you ever purchased from them? I was going to buy a few packs and see how they do. The company also publishes the magazine The Heirloom Gardener. -Carrie

.09 Acres said...

Baker Creek is a pretty cool company, started by a guy named Jere somewhere in the midwest I think. I'm pretty sure they focus solely on heirlooms. I got their 2010 catalog and remember the amazing varieties of seeds they offered. Definitely a respectable outfit for seeds.

What Pigs Don't Know said...

Based on your recommendation I just ordered from them. It literally only took 1 minute (though it certainly helped that I already decided what I want to plant).
Ended up with:
Basil - Lemon
Basil - Lime
Arugula
Charentais Melon
Red Malabar Spinach
Short Stuff - Sunflower
Here's to great growing! -Carrie